‘Mega Sporting Events and Human Rights’
The 31st session of the Human Rights Council will take place later this week (07/03/16) and will be held in the United Nations Office in Geneva, Switzerland. The Session will host a side event ‘Mega Sporting Events and Human Rights’. The event will see speakers Julia Bustamente, Andrea Florence, Ute Mayrhofer & Renata Neder discuss the challenges, in the implementation of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, namely how they apply to sport governing bodies. By referring to concrete processes at the ongoing preparation of Rio de Janeiro for the Olympic Games 2016, this side event will explore effective ways to implement the Guiding Principles in a concrete and practical way. The event will also encourage multi-stakeholder engagement, since it brings together NGOs, sport governing bodies as well as government representatives and will promote dialogue on issues related to business and human rights.
• Julia Bustamente – Human Rights Activist, Representative of Brazilian civil society Comite Popular (PACS), Brazil
• Andrea Florence – Strategic Alliance Officer, Terre des Hommes (Children Win), Switzerland
• Ute Mayrhofer – Advocacy Officer, Dreikönigsaktion (c/o Nosso Jogo network), Austria
• Renata Neder – Human Rights Advisor, Amnesty International Brazil; tbc.
• Tim Noonan – International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC), Belgium; tbc
#MegaSportingEvents #HumanRights #HumanRightsActivist #UN
Published 02/03/16 by Mark McCluskey